[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-2: 3GPP Network IP Resource Policy

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Mar 27 15:35:32 EDT 2013

    Scott> As one of the AC shepherds for the policy, I am hoping to
    Scott> have a discussion, both here on PPML at at the upcoming ARIN
    Scott> meeting, to cover a few key points:

    Scott>  - Is the problem statement clear to the community?  Do you
    Scott> have any questions on the problem the proposal is attempting
    Scott> to solve?

Yes, I think so.

It's a variation of the problem that Canadian Canadian Third Party
Internet Access has that we dealt with, and is 4.2.3.8 now.

    >> Currently, a number of mobile networks are using non-RIR-assigned
    >> space internally to meet customer demand. However, there is
    >> insufficient private space (RFC1918, etc.) available for internal
    >> use, so other unassigned space is currently being used. As this
    >> unassigned space is brought into service via reclamation,

So, as stated here 3GPP networks have blown through 65536+4096+256 /24s,
plus in many cases, an additional 65536 /24s from a squatted /8... how
will an additional /8 even help them?

My understanding is that many operators have avoided RFC1918 space
because that likely conflicts for many devices on their wifi interface,
so actually, they have only their squatted /8.  How will a second /8
help them (assuming that there was one available).

I thought the answer was that IPv6 was required for 3GPP's "4G"/"LTE" step.