[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

Steven Ryerse SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com
Tue Jun 4 17:30:41 EDT 2013

David we have disagreed quite a lot in the past but I pretty much agree with the spirit of your comments below.

I have stated several times in the past that allocations should always be made - but they need to be made with some sort of rightsizing.  Obviously the difficulty is defining a policy that does that but I think it is possible to create one that just takes into account the size of the organization and/or the size of the existing network and the requested size of the block.  So when an allocation request comes into ARIN, at least the community defined minimum size block would always be allocated, and larger requests would be matched against the size of the organization and/or the size of their existing allocations or maybe networks.  There could be a reasonable appeal process if a larger request was only filled with a smaller block. The remaining amount of ARIN's IPv4 allocations should NOT be factored in.   In this role ARIN is the registrar and is basically performing the role Jon Postel did of getting right sized allocations out there.  (ARIN and this community should also perform the technical role the same as they do now.)  Jon gave me 5 Class C's when I asked for them for a customer but I'm guessing he wouldn't have given me a  Class A without making sure there was a large organization behind the request.  Don't know if he would have given me a Class B in 1994 (I wish I had asked).  I'm guessing he would have if I could have convinced him of a possible need.

This approach worked pretty well in the past and it could work well again.  I also believe that this is the approach that perfectly aligns allocation policy with ARIN's Mission Statement.  It seems to me that the Mission Statement goes out the window on a lot of discussions in this community and it should be the driving force behind all discussions.

Finally I think a free market will bring out plenty of IPv4 addresses that are currently unavailable and this will keep hoarding and prices down.  I would point out that most of the IPv4 addresses are already being hoarded (just look at the /8 list) and only easy access to reasonable sized IP allocations will reduce hoarding.  Tight restrictive policies like ARIN uses now encourage hoarding and we are seeing that happen.  Organizations hoard when they fear not being able to get needed resources and are less likely to hoard when resources are easy to get.  I suspect that a free market in ipv4 addresses would make the equivalent of many /8's available to the open market.  Certainly there is enough unused IPV4 resources to get us thru until IPv6 is more prevalent.  The real world I have to live in has one of my upstream (BGP) fiber providers supporting IPV6 and the other not supporting it at this time.  I have to have the right amount of IPv4 to get me thru and so does everyone else.