[arin-ppml] Against 2013-4

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 4 13:22:57 EDT 2013

On 6/4/13 10:52 , Steven Ryerse wrote:

> Who out there knows what all of these stakeholder think?  I don’t think
> anybody knows.  So to make comments in this forum that presupposes that
> this entire community feels one way or another is inaccurate because
> nobody really knows.

I for one don't presuppose that the whole community feels one way or the
other.  However, every time we've touched this set of issues from one
side or the other in the last couple years we have not gained consensus
one way or the other.

> Of course we could ask everyone in the ARIN community to comment.

We are, that is the point of ARIN-2013-4, everyone should take it as
asking the question of the whole ARIN community.

> Free markets with reasonable governance always work.

I agree, however what constitutes "reasonable governance" is the very
question being debated.

> Central planning
> and control always fails and always provides uneven results.  Needs
> based testing is central planning!  The current policies are producing
> uneven results.
>
> It is time to halt the current needs based allocations.

I'll agree the current policy for measuring need has issues, especially
as we move toward IPv4 free pool exhaustion, but that doesn't mean the
principle of need is wrong.  If we completely abandon need as a
principle what principle would you put in place that would help ensure
fair distribution of IPv6 and ASN resources?

I believe the real issue is that IPv4 conservation thinking has warp our
sense of what need really means and should be.  I want to see a meaning
of need more representative of current IPv6 and ASN policy, or early
'90s IPv4 polices, and not the hyper conservation need polices we have
for IPv4 today.

I agree that the price of IPv4 addresses will be the primary force
determining need for IPv4 going forward, and at least influence IPv6
adoption and demand.  However, that doesn't mean that just anyone can
buy IP address, there needs to be some minimal threshold, like actually
operating a network, and being responsive to technical and operational
issues.  Also, personally I believe there should be an upper limit on
how much address space you can buy without a more detailed
justification, I've proposed /12 in the past.

In my opinion "free markets with reasonable governance" have some kind
of checks and balances placed on the market, and I believe some minimal
operational need requirement is one of those checks and balances in this
case.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952