[arin-ppml] A Redefinition of IPv4 Need post ARIN run-out (was: Re: Against 2013-4)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 11 11:01:19 EDT 2013

Mike thanks for agreeing to me responding publicly. Also, I think this
should be a diffrent thread as well.

On 6/10/13 10:35 , Mike Burns wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Sorry for the long delay in this response, but you mention that you
> would support a /12 exclusion for transfers, but when my prop-151
> included that (at your suggestion), you did not support it, but when
> that exclusion was removed and needs tests maintained for all transfers,
> you supported that, and it became policy.
> You were one of the shepherds of my proposal.
>
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-May/022171.html
>
> Do you think you would support, today, a policy change which restored
> the /12 exclusion for needs testing transfers?
> Would you support that as a lifetime exclusion, or an annual exclusion?
> I think we are in agreement that sizes under that amount could never
> "corner" a market.

The /12 exclusion wasn't the only criteria I included below, that part
of your proposal I liked.  I'll note, while I suggested /12, there is no
magic in that number, other than I think it needs to be at least a /16
block to make the market functional.  There were issues with your
proposal as writen, but I think most of them could have been worked out.
  Some of the ideas in your proposal have been incoporated in to policy
already.

However, I didn't support you proposal as an AC member at the time,
mostly because I didn't feal there was community consensus for it at
that time and it wasn't a timely issue, since there was still a
signifigant ARIN free pool available.  I'm still not sure the community
is ready, even now, but as we get closer to ARIN free pool run-out I
think it is a much more timly issue.

I see myself supporting even more liberal tranfers than we have today.
But, I will probablly have trouble without some basic requirement to
demonstrate technical or operational need.  I'm for a much liberal
definition of what justifies need for IPv4 than we have today.  However,
I still see some kind of technical requirement that minimally
demonistrates technical or operational need for the resources, we have
this for ASNs and IPv6 even though they are both prety much just there
for the asking, but there is some minimum critera.

I think the more important issue is an appropriate criteria on the
lower-end and for new enterants, the current slow-start for IPv4 isn't
going to work, post-ARIN free pool.  Yes, I know eliminating need
alltogether eliminates that problem, but I'm not sure I can get myself
all the way there.  I'd like to see some minimal technical criteria that
entitles someone to be able to buy up to between a /16 and a /12 and
more than just that they have the money to do so.  Maybe its just as
simple as demonstrating efficient use of at least a /24.  If you can't
do that then you can only buy a /24, then you utilize it and you qualify
for bigger blocks.

The point is that's my opinion, what we need is to develop a community
consensus.  This require comprimise on both sides.  I think a much
liberlized defintion of need for IPv4 is possible.  But, when people
continually call for the elimination of need completely, the majory of
the community circles the wagons and we get nowhere.  My question to you
and others, is a signifigantly liberalized defintion of need for IPv4
good enough?

My suggestion is we keep talking about what such a signifigantly
liberalized defintion of need for IPv4 looks like.  I think you and I
have similar ideas probablly not exactly the same, but you and I are not
enough, we need to develope more consensus around the idea before were
ready for a proposal.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952