[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 23 16:01:48 EDT 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen at network1.net> wrote:

> I think a clear distinction can be made between a VPS, where the customer has full access to the entirety of an operating system with full root/admin access, and virtual web hosting account, where the customer likely has very little access to anything other than the ability to upload files to serve via web.
>
> I do agree there some potential grey areas emerging due to virtual/cloud/etc.

Indeed.  One of the difficulties with different categories of policy
is that it is inevitably based on past service/business models, and
hence does not necessarily map well to the quickly evolving Internet.
One can either enumerate specific cases or establish guidelines that
are fairly general in nature.  In this case, we effectively have a
set of guidelines for what an end-user organization is, based on the
definitions in the number resource policy manual.  If folks feel that
there are better criteria today as to whether an organization is an
ISP vs end-user, then it would be good to propose a policy change
accordingly <https://www.arin.net/participate/how_to_participate.html>

Thanks!
/John

John Curran