[arin-ppml] Initial ISP Allocation Policy

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 23 16:09:45 EDT 2013

John Curran wrote:

> One can either enumerate specific cases or establish guidelines that
> are fairly general in nature.  In this case, we effectively have a set of
> guidelines for what an end-user organization is, based on the definitions
> in the number resource policy manual.  If folks feel that there are better
> criteria today as to whether an organization is an ISP vs end-user, then it
> would be good to propose a policy change accordingly

I think this is a good time to note that in another branch of this very same
thread, we are discussing potential policy language to remove from NRPM
the distinction between end-user organizations and ISPs, so as to align
policy criteria ("how do I qualify for IP addresses?") with operational
realities in 2014 and beyond.  The language on the table this week would
obviate the need for ARIN staff to answer the difficult question, "is
<insert technology here> an ISP or an end-user".

With regards,
David