[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: Fair Distribution

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 12 17:56:05 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
> In that case can you be a little more explicit?
>
> I have always felt like ISP have a different need than end-sites, and
> understood the divergence
> in policy for the two.
>
> For example, and ISP should be forced to document when it makes an
> assignment to a customer,
> The same requirement doesn't apply to a University who is assigning space to
> the philosophy department.

Hi Jason,

Why not? Perhaps not the philosophy department, but why shouldn't
addresses assigned for use by students in the dorms be treated the
same as ISP assignments to their customers? Why does one class of
registrant get to treat its assignments to customer equipment one way
while another class of registrants has it harder?

Why don't we have one class of customer with two rule sets: report
your internal use this way, report your assignments to customer
equipment that way. Would that not be more fair?

> What differences between ISPs and end-sites do you think are unfair.

Votes, for one thing.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004