[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: Fair Distribution

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jul 12 13:18:04 EDT 2013

On 7/12/13 10:37 , Jason Schiller wrote:
> David,
>
> I took the liberty or changing the subject to "Fair Distribution" in
> order to make this a
> completely separate thread allowing the other conversation to continue
> (possibly at a later
> time) without getting tangled up with this one.

Thanks

> Comments in line,
>
> __Jason
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu
> <mailto:farmer at umn.edu>> wrote:

>     So how do we move forward? I suggest;
>
>     1. Can everyone concede that going forward, conservation is much
>     less important, but that the need for some concept of conservation
>     doesn't completely go away either.
>
> Assuming this is true, then the section on stewardship and balancing
> allows for the community  to find the right level, and modify ARIN
> policy accordingly.

Yes, exactly

>     2. Lets focus the conversation on other issues for a while, let this
>     cool down a little, then come back to it after we've cooled down and
>     maybe have resolved some of the other issues.
>
> Personally, I'm hoping to see the staff assessment soon, and hoping we
> can make a list
> of all the current practices that would be modified if this draft policy
> is implemented,
> and try to make sure the community aggress those practices should not change
> and modify the draft accordingly.

The AC has a call next week, I'm sure we will discuss this.  But, Chris
is the Shepherd and I'll let him take the lead on that.

>     3. Are there other concepts, principles, or goals that were missing?
>       I suggested earlier that there were additional principles we
>     should be looking at.  An candidates has come up in the conversation
>     today that I would like to propose;
>
>         0.2 Fair Distribution
>
>         The principle of Fair Distribution is the precept that the
>         fundamental purpose of Internet number resources management is to
>         distributed unique number resources in a fair and impartial manner
>         to entities building and operating networks, for benefit of all
>         Internet users equally, and thereby facilitating the growth and
>         sustainability of the Internet.
>

> I would not oppose the suggested text.

I think it probably needs more work, but I'll leave that in Chris'
capable hands as shepherd.  I just want to start the discussion, I'm
interested in what others think too.

>     I'd make this #2 behind Registration, and I'd suggest Conservation
>     could follow and ties into this principle through the concepts of
>     "fairness" and "sustainability"
>

> I'm not sure ordering matters...

 From a technical perspective, no ordering doesn't mater.

> These are not stack ranked where the most important principle is followed
> to the detriment of the others.  Hence the section on stewardship and
> suggestion of balancing.
>
> But OK, if the community wants it to be #2 I see no issue.

However, from an emotional perspective and how people interrupt the
narrative it does mater.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952