[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

Steven Noble snoble at sonn.com
Thu Sep 20 18:15:42 EDT 2012

On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:53 PM, Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:

> I was merely answering the OPs question. Naturally, ARIN management became defensive with the dirty laundry partially aired
>
> Thanks, Jeff

Having dealt with ARIN since their inception, and had many disagreements with them, the one thing I can say is that they are being truthful when it comes to what they can and cannot do.  Some of the rules and restrictions seem illogical, or even detrimental but ARIN only goes by the policies as set by us, the members.

ARIN has a database, some providers require you to have certain information in the database, some do not.  Some entries in the ARIN database will always be wrong, yet things seem to work just fine.

It took me 8 years to get something updated in the ARIN database. During those 8 years I used the resource as I would normally, no one cared.

As you stated previously, you are announcing and routing the network/objects in question.  So there is no real issue here except wrt what ARINs database says.  If you want the ARIN database to say something else, you just need to follow the instructions as given and they will update it.