[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Sep 22 21:10:25 EDT 2012

On 9/22/2012 2:12 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On 9/22/12, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
>> Wrong.  You do not "own" the network.
>> What you fail to understand is that ARIN doesn't even "own" the IP
>> network.  Nobody "owns" the network.
>
> Networks that communicate using the IP protocol DO have owners.

Silly boy, in the context he was posting he was clearly writing about
the IP assignments, not the physical network.

Maybe next time I write a contract I'll hire you to read the fine
print, that was a great hairsplitting example, it nearly made me
laugh hard enough to snort milk out my nose.

> Nobody "owns" the IP addresses that are assigned to networks, but
> there are standards by which networks are assigned addressing; someone
> owns the equipment, hosts, and services their network provides;  an
> assignment of number resources alone does not make a network.
>

> Anyways, Jeffrey Lyon's  circumstances are obviously more complicated
> than he has let on in explaining to PPML,  otherwise, it seems clear
> ARIN would have handled the situation.     It  wouldn't be fair for
> the community to have an opinion on his circumstances,
> without a complete explanation  of the situation that both adversarial
> parties could agree is complete -- and we hear only one side.

That is true but until such time as he posts the facts, the community is
entitled to treat his posts as a -hypothetical- example, just as most
of the contrived scenarios that people have fun posting about here are.

Ted