[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Wed Sep 5 14:20:44 EDT 2012

Hi Blake, Christof, and John,

It is the more than 50:1 unrouted to routed addresses which trouble me.
Obviously the normal pool of (non-legacy) allocated addresses is routed at
much higher rates.
And given then the oddity of this particular usage rate combined with the
unique set of facts attending this transfer, color me remain unconvinced.

Not that I am saying that this sort of thing is impossible.
I know RFC 1918 space is not unlimited, that is why I used the 17 million
number. Obviously you could never have anywhere near 100% efficiency.
I understand why the DoD does not route the majority of their allocation.

Christof, I am unsure how the AS number thing relates, but you have provided
evidence that Microsoft is, in fact, engaged in a massive renumbering.
Of course that would be the time to organize things to try to fit into a /8
like 10.0.0.

Thank you all for the info.

John, if I were one of the members on the list who appear to be having
difficulty with allocations, I would certainly consider a policy proposal to
consider some limits on the ratio of routed to unrouted addresses in order
to pressure orgs into best use of RFC1918 space.
It must be galling to be one of those members to know that ARIN has no
problem making allocations today which can be 98% unrouted.

I suppose we can hope that these will be rare.

Regards,
Mike