[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Fri Sep 7 15:28:25 EDT 2012

"Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com> writes:

> John, if I were one of the members on the list who appear to be having
> difficulty with allocations, I would certainly consider a policy
> proposal to consider some limits on the ratio of routed to unrouted
> addresses in order to pressure orgs into best use of RFC1918 space.
> It must be galling to be one of those members to know that ARIN has no
> problem making allocations today which can be 98% unrouted.

Would it make you feel better if MS (and DoD for that matter) were to
inject routes for these networks into the DFZ that went either to a
firewall with a "deny ip any any" policy or to null0 on a router with
no internal connection to that organization's network?

I'm not suggesting gratuitous abuse of DFZ slots, only illustrating
(using the converse of the illustrations that JC and Owen have used)
that a routing table entry in the public Internet and value as
globally unique addresses as something that you can not see from your
particular vantage point...  have nothing to do with each other.

Cheers,

-r