[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not exclude wireless as Residential Service

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:58:26 EDT 2012

Bill,

<snipping message to John>

> Hi Cameron,
>
> Holders of less than a /29 are not required to be SWIPped, thus
> they're already anonymous if the wireless operator chooses to keep
> them so. The community already agrees that it is not necessary to
> breach the anonymity of consumers of a single IP address in the whois
> system, regardless of their chosen use.
>
> With that in mind, do you still believe that it's necessary to
> anonymize reporting of mobile users holding a /29 or larger?

I would just like the policy to be the same for wireless and wireline
networks that sell service to individual people.

I am not asking for any special provisions or changes to policy
itself, just change to the definition of a single term.

Today, this clumsy word "residential" is used, and ARIN staff say
residential service implies wires to a house where somebody lives.

CB