[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not exclude wireless as Residential Service

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 2 16:41:19 EDT 2012

Hi John,

Can you clarify a point for us?

Cameron asserts in the rationale that, "Section 2.13 has been
interpreted by ARIN staff to exclude wireless service providers from
using policy that applies to residential users." Is that accurate?

Section 2.13 reads:

"End-users who are individual persons and not organizations and who
receive service at a place of residence for personal use only are
considered residential customers."

If ARIN staff interprets that to exclude certain products that an
individual may choose to buy at home and for personal use, can you
explain the basis in policy for that exclusion?

Thanks!

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> I think I need some more convincing on that one. You're talking about
>> a whole different class of use here: mobile users, not home users. Why
>> should a mobile user with a /29 on his smartphone or tablet be
>> exempted from ARIN reporting? Why isn't that an unusual and
>
> There is no user that i know of that has a /29 of ARIN space on their
> Smartphone or Tablet.  AFAIK, the only allocation policy  that is in
> place by any mainstream wireless operator is one IPv4 per mobile
> device.

Hi Cameron,

Holders of less than a /29 are not required to be SWIPped, thus
they're already anonymous if the wireless operator chooses to keep
them so. The community already agrees that it is not necessary to
breach the anonymity of consumers of a single IP address in the whois
system, regardless of their chosen use.

With that in mind, do you still believe that it's necessary to
anonymize reporting of mobile users holding a /29 or larger?

> The issue that i bring is that there is no difference between mobile
> and wireline internet access.

Yes, I follow you on that part and I'm inclined to agree. An
individual making personal use of addresses at home should be able to
redact his identity in the ARIN whois database regardless of the
particular technology his ISP uses to deliver service.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004