[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not exclude wireless as Residential Service

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 2 17:22:51 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would just like the policy to be the same for wireless and wireline
> networks that sell service to individual people.
>
> I am not asking for any special provisions or changes to policy
> itself, just change to the definition of a single term.
>
> Today, this clumsy word "residential" is used, and ARIN staff say
> residential service implies wires to a house where somebody lives.

Well, OK, if that's what ARIN staff say and it can't be fixed
administratively then let's fix it in the policy. But let's be a
little cautious about unintended consequences.

The folks who wrote that policy put "personal" and "home" in there
five different times because they wanted to be extra sure that ARIN
staff wouldn't apply it to a broader use. Clarifying it to mean
regardless of technology may not reopen that debate or the can of
worms that went with it. Expanding it to a new user class, mobile
users, probably does.

I figure if you can fix the problem you've identified without
reopening the debate then you've a better chance of getting the
problem fixed. Am I wrong?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004