[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri May 4 14:02:25 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 1:39 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On 5/4/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> will note
>> that there are also statistical approaches that are allowed based on
>> the removal of individually identifying information.
>
> There you go. Statistical approaches based on the removal of
> individually identifying information. ARIN can't do this anywhere else
> it encounters /32 users because??

Bill -

  We ask for the customer assignment information necessary to
  verify the utilization.  This is relatively straightforward
  and seems to work well for requesters. If you have very unusual
  constraints, you are welcome to propose an alternative for ARIN
  to verify this information for consideration, but please recognize
  that you are very likely to be told that your proposed alternative
  is insufficient for verification and we cannot consider those
  assignments for purposes of calculating utilization.

  If you would like ARIN to consider customer assignments as
  utilized without further verification, or consider proof of
  infrastructure to be sufficient validation for an assertion
  of IP utilization typical for such equipment, then please
  propose such as a change to number resource policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO