[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 4 14:33:45 EDT 2012

On 5/4/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On May 4, 2012, at 1:39 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> On 5/4/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>> will note
>>> that there are also statistical approaches that are allowed based on
>>> the removal of individually identifying information.
>>
>> There you go. Statistical approaches based on the removal of
>> individually identifying information. ARIN can't do this anywhere else
>> it encounters /32 users because??
>
>   We ask for the customer assignment information necessary to
>   verify the utilization.

John,

Now I'm confused. Which is it: you can find a way to work with
statistical approaches instead of PII or you can't?

>   If you would like ARIN to consider customer assignments as
>   utilized without further verification, or consider proof of
>   infrastructure to be sufficient validation for an assertion
>   of IP utilization typical for such equipment, then please
>   propose such as a change to number resource policy.

What I assert is that much of the community would like ARIN to verify
utilization using best available approaches at its discretion
-excluding- those which would have ARIN consume PII about downstream
ISP customers holding fewer than 8 IP addresses.

We have a whole policy development process available to find out
whether that assertion is correct. However, since you have expressed a
belief that my way of phrasing it violates the boundary between policy
and process, I seek your assistance in phrasing this community
requirement in a manner that is acceptable within the process.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004