[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Thu May 3 11:43:30 EDT 2012

On 5/3/2012 7:12 AM, Izaac wrote:

>  and companies who can reserve unique resources. 'whois' or
> You're not going to grow the internet economy another order of magnitude
> under IPv4.  It is exhausted.  This fine-grained identification
> requirement is entirely the result of attempts to economize the use of
> the precious remainder.  If the bureaucratic energy were redirected into
> IPv6 transition, we'd could begin to explore the kind of growth of which
> you speak.
>
> (Incidentally, do contact your local Austrian economist for a discussion
> about whether central planning or a free market are more efficient at
> allocating scarce resources.)

Here here... a lot of fretting and wasted energy over an ever shrinking
pool...

I'm not opposed to simply giving out all the rest of the ipv4 addresses,
first come, first served, and washing our hands of this mess. The market
will end up re-distributing them anyway.

Concentrate on IPv6. That's where the growth and, IMHO, ARIN needs to be.

-lee