[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Thu May 3 07:12:24 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:08:08AM +0000, paul vixie wrote:
> On 5/2/2012 11:44 PM, Dmitry Burkov wrote:
> > ... It is not about it - the issue for me - should be RIR  responsible for end user assignments data?
>
> someone has to be. we're not going to grow the internet economy another
> order of magnitude if we continue to reduce the accountability of the
> people and companies who can reserve unique resources. 'whois' or

You're not going to grow the internet economy another order of magnitude
under IPv4.  It is exhausted.  This fine-grained identification
requirement is entirely the result of attempts to economize the use of
the precious remainder.  If the bureaucratic energy were redirected into
IPv6 transition, we'd could begin to explore the kind of growth of which
you speak.

(Incidentally, do contact your local Austrian economist for a discussion
about whether central planning or a free market are more efficient at
allocating scarce resources.)

--