[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 08:25:07 EDT 2012

On 6/30/12, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> A question though, while I sort of understand why legacies can't vote, sort
> of, I wonder do your rules allow for legacies, or even non address holders,
[snip]
There is no rule that legacies can't vote.   They can vote once they
sign a RSA or LRSA for some resource, or acquire any resource under a
signed (L)RSA, and become ARIN members, under the same rules that
non-legacy holders become ARIN members.   Its even possible that a
legacy holder votes, if they have some resources that are under a RSA
and some resources that are not under a RSA.

> RIRs are the guardians of the directories, and am cleaning up my act. I am
> still concerned for those who would not be allowed to clean up their act
> because as opposed to being legacies, they acquired from legacies. But I

There is a problem establishing that the resources were  "legitimately
acquired".

There is no inherent reason that ARIN policy can't be revised to offer a way to
normalcy for   "resources acquired from legacies"   outside the proper process,
provided the allocation can be justified based on the utilization of
the holder of
each "acquired" resource.

But it is a hard problem,  because doing so, could also encourage legacies to
illegitimately "provide"  resources in a manner not allowed by policy;
outside the proper delegation and transfer processes.

Perhaps policy can provide a way for ARIN to offer amnesty for such
illegitimately transferred resources, in exchange for paying a
penalty,  as long as there was a utilization criteria,  justified
need, and the current user signs a RSA.

If you can find a way;   I believe it would be good policy,  as it could help
improve the accuracy of the WHOIS service to provide such an option.

--
-JH