[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jun 30 06:07:38 EDT 2012

On Jun 30, 2012, at 2:49 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> There are so many messages I want to respond to, but have been preoccupied with names, not 'numbers' for the last bit.  Plus I have only a tablet, and it does not have proper email support.
>
> A question though, while I sort of understand why legacies can't vote, sort of, I wonder do your rules allow for legacies, or even non address holders, to be elected (not that you all would want, to, I understand).  If not, though calling them members of the community seems a stretch. They should be stakeholders, but they aren't treated that way. Sure we can contribute on a list, but that is only a first small step in inclusion.

This isn't entirely true. A legacy holder can bring their resources under LRSA or RSA as an LIR/ISP, or, as an end-user.

Once you do that, if you are an LIR/ISP, then you are a member. If you are an end-user, then for $500/year, you can become a member.

Yes, anyone can run for AC or board regardless of whether they are a member or not.

Anyone can contribute on the list and can also attend the public policy meetings. Each person's participation is considered equally whether or not they are a member.

> I admit also that I can't think of myself as a member of a community that considers my behavior illegitimate and thinks of the thing we believe in as more like a disease than a reasonable alternative.

I actually think it is a relatively small fraction of the community that believes that.

> Note: I accept the need to be properly listed in the directory and that the RIRs are the guardians of the directories, and am cleaning up my act. I am still concerned for those who would not be allowed to clean up their act because as opposed to being legacies, they acquired from legacies. But I will address the many good arguments people have made in the last weeks once I get back to a real laptop and am no longer trying to live by tablet alone.

If they acquired from legacies outside of policy, then, where did their right or ability to do so come from?

I'm not trying to be snarkish here... I really am curious as to what theory you have that would suggest ARIN should modify the registry based on actions with no basis in RFC, policy, predecessor registry policy, IANA policy, etc.

Owen