[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-173 Revisions to M&A Transfer

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 19 21:57:01 EDT 2012

On Jul 19, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Steven Ryerse wrote:

Viewing posts to this forum over time, I have concluded that there are a lot of folks who’s opinion  is that ARIN should just take control of all legacy resources and manage them however they please with input from this forum.  Then there are a lot of folks who’s opinion is that ARIN essentially doesn’t have authority over the Legacy holders resources.  Certainly all members of this forum have an equal right to their opinion and an equal right to express them here.

I’m not sure which holders of /8’s and other large blocks are still in Legacy status but the list reads like a who’s who of Fortune 500 companies.  I don’t ever see comments from those companies stating their opinions in this forum, but you can be sure their attorney’s would have an opinion and would act decisively should ARIN and this forum of Members ever try and reclaim (take) those Legacy resources away from them.

As a Legacy holder of one measly /24 block it is my opinion that ARIN and the members of this Forum don’t have the right to just reclaim (take) those resources away from Legacy holders.  That is just my opinion and I’m entitled to it - and as a member I can share it in a constructive manner.

Based on some off forum email messages I’ve received I think that there are a lot of Members who would completely agree with me.  I sense that many have tried in the past to share their view in this forum, and have tired of trying to convince this community to embrace the Legacy community in a reasonable prudent way for all and join with them in ARIN’s mission of furthering Internet usage.

Steven -

  I'm not aware of any policy discussions calling for the reclamation of resources from
  legacy holders.  In fact, such policy discussions are unlikely to be very productive,
  since the legacy registration agreement contractually precludes reclamation from
  legacy resource holders; see <https://www.arin.net/resources/legacy/> for details.

FYI,
/John

John Curran