[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-178 Regional Use of Resources

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Tue Jul 17 11:59:16 EDT 2012

David Farmer wrote:
> On 7/16/12 13:40 CDT, Tony Hain wrote:
> > David Farmer wrote:
> >> OK, I slept on it and have an idea.
> >>
> >> I need to reiterate the four requirements I discussed in my last
> >> email;
> >>
> >> 1. Regional independence and control of policy
> >>
> >> 2. Only justify the use of resources to the RIR you received them
> >> from using that RIRs policies
> >
> > I mis-read that one the first time. You should only need to justify
> > the resources you are requesting from the RIR being asked.
>
> I'm confused this seems to conflict with below;
>
> >> 3. Prevent duplicate and/or overlapping requests to multiple RIRs, in
> > other
> >> words provide stewardship
> >>
> >> 4. No restriction on location of use
> >>
> >> So, I'll float an idea.  What if we allowed the requester to select
> >> between #2 or #4, allowing #1 and #3 to be meet in all cases.  This
> >> way regionalization is simply a tool for simplifying justification of
> >> need and not necessarily a requirement to receive resources in all
cases.

> >> This could be done with the following small rewrite of the first
paragraph.

> >> ----
> >>
> >> X. Regionalized Use of Resources
> >>
> >> Requests for number resources must meet the following criteria
> >> regarding regionalized use of resources for ARIN to only evaluate a
> >> request based on an organizations ARIN registered resources and
> >> according to ARIN policies, including any resource specific criteria.
> >> Otherwise, ARIN must evaluate a request based on an organizations
> >> total globally registered resources and only according to ARIN
policies,
> including any resource specific criteria.
> >>
> >> ----
> >>
> >> Is this workable?  What do you think Tony?  What does the rest of the
> >> community think?  Would there need to be additional criteria defining
> >> how ARIN evaluates a organizations globally registered resource?
> >
> > I think I am saying drop everything up to 'Otherwise'. Where the new
> > resource is being used is irrelevant.
>
> So, some org in the APNIC region and has always received their resources
> from APNIC, but can can't get an IPv4 any more.
>
> They want to get IPv4 from ARIN, do they have to demonstrate that they
> have utilized their APNIC resources according to ARIN policy before
getting
> resources from ARIN?

Yes, including any slow-start for new members.

> If yes then that violates requirement #2 and seems to violate your
response
> above.

The wording of #2 is confusing enough that I misread it the first time, so
my flipping responses might be even more confusing. The past is the past,
and therefore irrelevant. Maybe this simplifies:

A new request is on the table at one-and-only-one RIR, so that RIR has to
use its current policy to evaluate the organizations global resource
deployment.

> But if here you seem to be saying that ARIN should evaluate all their
global
> resources.
>
> Deleting everything up to and including the "Otherwise," you are left
with.

> "ARIN must evaluate a request based on an organizations total globally
> registered resources and only according to ARIN policies, including any
> resource specific criteria."
>
> I read this as saying that ARIN should evaluate all resources regardless
of
> which RIR issued them.
>
> Is that what you are saying?

Yes. The point is that everyone has to meet current ARIN policies when
making a new request.

Where past resources were acquired, or where they are deployed globally are
irrelevant, as long as the requestor is doing 'proper stewardship'; where
'proper' is defined by current criterion established at the RIR they are
asking to provide more. To me, this is the only way to avoid policy
conflicts, and deal with pre-RIR resources fairly. If the RIR system had not
been created, this is exactly what they would have to do at IANA, so why
should the RIR mechanism be any different?

Tony