[arin-ppml] Prop-151: Limiting needs requirements for IPv4 transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jan 17 20:26:59 EST 2012

On 1/17/12 17:50 CST, Owen DeLong wrote:
> It is relatively easy to acquire address space in the ARIN region as well.
>
> I don't believe for one moment that APNIC's policies or their application of
> those policies is significantly less strict than ARIN"s. If it were, APNIC would
> have consumed a much greater quantity of IPv4 address space.
>
> It may be a widely held belief. That does not make it correct.
>
> Owen

I'm actually willing to believe that it is true, I just don't have
personal knowledge that it is or is not true.  Additionally, when I look
at the differences in policies, they don't seem rise to the level of
what I would call an unfair difference.

So, I'm simply asking for a specific example of a difference in policies
that Bill or someone else believes rises to the level of being an unfair
difference.  Or, if someone is willing to state, publicly or privately,
that they have direct first-hand knowledge it is, or has been,
significantly easier to get address space from APNIC, or any other RIR,
than it is to get equilivant address space from ARIN.

I honestly don't believe this is a red herring or asking to much from
the proponents of the idea that it is significantly harder to get
address from ARIN than the other RIRs.  I'm only asking for a specific
example of a policy difference or a first-hand anecdote.  I'm just not
willing to accept "everyone knows" or second and third hand rumors.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952