[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal -- Normalize Free pool and Transfer justification periods

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 13 18:15:45 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Michael Sinatra
<michael at rancid.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I am not interested in
> speeding the run-out, but I am also not interested in the continued
> unnecessary protection of the free pool.

Hi Michael,

ARIN policies shouldn't result in new organizations being barred from
obtaining their own IP addresses. Practically speaking, that means
that individual /24's must be routinely available on the transfer
market or they must be available via the free pool. They're not yet
routinely available on the transfer market... to date it has been
predominantly concerned with transfers of large amounts of address
space.

When that changes, I expect my concerns about preserving the remaining
free pool will evaporate. When it changes.

> As Geoff Huston pointed out, IPv4
> addresses should be used.  The fact that Geoff comes from the the APNIC
> region does not skew my view of his opinion, BTW.

Geoff offers some of the best researched information available on the
subject of IP address consumption. He's always worth listening to.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004