[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal -- Normalize Free pool and Transfer justification periods

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 13 17:41:40 EST 2012

On 1/13/12 1:06 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Owen DeLong<owen at delong.com>  wrote:
>>     1. Policy Proposal Name: Normalize Free pool and Transfer justification
>> periods
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> I OPPOSE this proposal in concept and in the particulars.
>
> The sole purpose of needs-based policy, the only one, is to suppress
> frivolous consumption of a limited common resource. With transfers,
> significant and growing sums of money change hands, a fact inherently
> suppresses frivolous use. The need to suppress transfer-based
> consumption with policy, if it exists at all, is consequently much
> less than with free pool consumption.
>
> Just as the regulations which apply to a strip mine are not
> appropriate when applied to a recycler, rules which are perfectly
> rational for free pool allocations can be onerous and excessive for
> transfers. "One size fits all" is entirely inappropriate here.

Hi Bill:

My hunch is that your implicit assumption is that the transfer market
currently clears itself efficiently, or some close approximation
thereof.  I disagree with that assumption, even if you don't hold it :).
  I became especially aware of the problems arising from the uneven
run-out and the issues surround ARIN's current "protection" of its free
pool from the discussions in Philadelphia.  To be honest, there are a
lot of issues that will be resolved once the RIRs' free pools run out
and they transfer markets can operate with (relatively) low distortion.
  I am not interested in speeding the run-out, but I am also not
interested in the continued unnecessary protection of the free pool.  As
Geoff Huston pointed out, IPv4 addresses should be used.  The fact that
Geoff comes from the the APNIC region does not skew my view of his
opinion, BTW.

Forcing ISPs to run up the price of IPv4 resources on the transfer
market should not be a part of ARIN policy, but it unfortunately is at
this point.  That hurts everyone.

If it's not obvious already, I support Owen's proposal, and thank him
for submitting it.  (I was going to propose the same thing during the
Philadelphia meeting, but I was busy and/or lazy.  Sorry about that.)

michael