[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal -- Normalize Free pool and Transfer justification periods

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 13 19:44:44 EST 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 3:15 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Michael Sinatra
> <michael at rancid.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>  I am not interested in
>> speeding the run-out, but I am also not interested in the continued
>> unnecessary protection of the free pool.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> ARIN policies shouldn't result in new organizations being barred from
> obtaining their own IP addresses. Practically speaking, that means
> that individual /24's must be routinely available on the transfer
> market or they must be available via the free pool. They're not yet
> routinely available on the transfer market... to date it has been
> predominantly concerned with transfers of large amounts of address
> space.

Are they not available, or, are people who need individual /24s not
bothering to seek them via transfer?

I would argue that under the current situation, there is absolutely no
possible reason a rational person would even consider using a transfer
to obtain a single /24 within ARIN policy since it is cheaper and easier
to get it from the ARIN free pool so long as there are any left in the
free pool.

As near as I can tell, so far, all of the transfers have been the result
of organizations either seeking to make the best of bad debt or by
organizations seeking to get longer justification periods than are
available to them under allocation policy.

I think that if an organization wanted a /24 on the transfer market,
they could easily find one to transfer. I don't think that availability
is the missing side here.

The only way in which this proposal liberalizes the free pool consumption
is:
	1.	Repealing the 3-month justification period for ISP allocations.
		There seems to be general outcry from the community for this to
		occur.

	2.	Extending the initial slow-start term to 12 months.
		Either limiting organizations with whom ARIN has limited
		experience to 3 months is a good idea or it isn't. Whether it
		is or not does not, IMHO, change depending on whether
		they are obtaining those addresses via transfer or from
		the ARIN free pool.

> When that changes, I expect my concerns about preserving the remaining
> free pool will evaporate. When it changes.

Supporting a change to regulations on the free pool only after conditions
which amount to "once the free pool is completely exhausted" seems rather
a hollow statement at best.

>> As Geoff Huston pointed out, IPv4
>> addresses should be used.  The fact that Geoff comes from the the APNIC
>> region does not skew my view of his opinion, BTW.
>
> Geoff offers some of the best researched information available on the
> subject of IP address consumption. He's always worth listening to.

Yes, I'd highly recommend that you review his presentation from APNIC
Busan and/or ARIN Philadelphia (he gave roughly the same presentation
to both audiences).

Owen