[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-BasedJustificationon8.3 Specified Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 17 14:38:48 EST 2012

On Feb 17, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> As Owen noted, it is the routing community which holds the cards here.
> My guess is that if ARIN maintains it's anti-free-market tendencies, that routers will simply look at whomever is the registrant in Whois, then rely on their customer's documentation of chain of custody of the address rights from that Whois registrant up to their customer.

"ARIN" doesn't have tendencies...  ARIN does have policies which are
set by the community based on the discourse on this mailing list and in
the public policy meetings.  If that community wants to allow transfers
without policy constraints (e.g. so that someone can transfer a /30
to another party), then the policies are easy enough to change.
The policies have direct impact on those who run the routers, and
that appears to have been quite a bit of the resistance to these
unconstrained market proposals.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran