[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-BasedJustificationon8.3 Specified Transfers

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Fri Feb 17 14:27:03 EST 2012

>I've been told that parties who want to make a marketplace also want the
results from their transactions to be in the registry and accepted by the
community.  Interestingly enough, the inherent conflict between wanting
the community to accept the results of their 'sales' in the registry but
not wanting to follow the same community's policies for changes to the
registry hasn't been very well understood.

FYI,
/John

As Owen noted, it is the routing community which holds the cards here.
My guess is that if ARIN maintains it's anti-free-market tendencies, that
routers will simply look at whomever is the registrant in Whois, then rely
on their customer's documentation of chain of custody of the address rights
from that Whois registrant up to their customer.

Then they will have the customer attest to this chain of custody and route
the addresses.

And they will let the courts settle any discrepancies or challenges to that
chain of custody.

At some point, the professed desire to be registered, which you accept
above, will drive the creation of a private registry for lucky legacy
holders who never signed an RSA.
And we will have a permanent class system for IPv4 addresses.

Regards,
Mike