[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

Paul Andersen paul at egate.net
Thu Aug 16 08:52:48 EDT 2012

Hi Bill,

On 2012-08-15, at 11:23 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> For clarity's sake, I'd like to restate the situation in my own words
> and ask someone more familiar with it (Bill Sandiford?) to confirm or
> correct my statements.

I'll give it best. I'm not a regulatory lawyer; however, I'm familiar with many of the proceedings.

> Canada's CRTC has determined that ISPs should have access to cable
> companies' infrastructure sort of like how unbundling and CLECs impact
> the telephone companies in the US. The cable TV company won't be the
> exclusive Internet provider via the cable TV infrastructure.

Yes - In Canada Incumbent Cable and Telephone companies are mandated to provide third party wholesale access to their infrastructure.

> CRTC has specified that the cable companies provide this two different ways.

The two ways you listed were related specifically to the provision of Static IP addresses. Traditionally ISP's utilizing TPIA have only had access to dynmaic addresses. This is because the incumbent runs the DHCP server the the cable modem utilizes. The third party ISP needs to provide blocks of IP addresses to the incumbent who in turn provision that in their DHCP servers and their network. The third party ISP cannot control which address gets assigned to which customer.

I believe John was trying to highlight Paragraphs 14-19 of http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-96.htm that talk a bit about how the CRTC sees its role in Internet number resources.

> Way #1...
>
> Way #2: ...

I believe that related to the Static IP address issue. The policy here is trying to deal with overall IP addressing for TPIA customers

> Problem! The ISP has to pre-reserve address blocks for the various
> areas within the cable company's infrastructure. The ISP then grows
> chaotically like all ISPs, more customers here than there. When it's
> time to expand his largest area, most of his addresses are stuck
> "reserved" for areas where he has few or no customers. Thus he doesn't
> meet the utilization target set by ARIN for more addresses. And he
> can't just withdraw and redeploy the underutilized pools because that
> ain't the way CRTC's TPIA is rigged.

If by "rigged" you mean "designed" then that is a rough view of one problem faced by TPIA providers.

There is also the problem with the incumbent growing. Many cable providers utilize node splitting and other techniques to get higher and higher speeds. As they break up their network the third party ISP is affected too as the number of places that addresses need to be placed increases.

Cheers,

Paul