[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:36:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Paul Andersen <paul at egate.net> wrote:
> If by "rigged" you mean "designed" then that is a rough view of one problem faced by TPIA providers.

So, from a policy perspective, Canadian ISPs are between a rock
(ARIN utilization requirements) and hard place (CRTC TPIA
requirements) for growth if they enter the cable market.

I suppose the paranoid could say this was all part of a scheme
by the incumbents to force the 3rd party ISPs to stay out of the
cable market if they want to grow elsewhere.

I am not entirely comfortable with seeing other jurisdictions
define IP address allocation policies, nor do I like the idea
for special carve-outs for such rules (the precedent it provides
can lead to other poor results), but neither do I expect to see
the CRTC rules change.  Based on my current understanding,
I find myself reluctantly supporting moving this policy forward
for acceptance for further discussion because it enables
further competition in the Canadian marketplace.

Gary