[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Aug 15 23:23:44 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Request by CRTC to CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee (CISC)
> to "develop a solution for static IP address allocation for TPIA
> services" - <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-330.htm>
>
> CRTC approval of the recommendations made by the CISC’s Network
> Working Group regarding static address allocation for third-party
> Internet access services.
> - <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-96.htm>

Thanks John.

For clarity's sake, I'd like to restate the situation in my own words
and ask someone more familiar with it (Bill Sandiford?) to confirm or
correct my statements.

Canada's CRTC has determined that ISPs should have access to cable
companies' infrastructure sort of like how unbundling and CLECs impact
the telephone companies in the US. The cable TV company won't be the
exclusive Internet provider via the cable TV infrastructure.

CRTC has specified that the cable companies provide this two different ways.

Way #1: Layer 2 tunnelling, e.g. PPOE through the cable infrastructure
back to the ISP. Works the same as we've been doing for a decade plus.
No special support from ARIN requested or required.

Way #2: Layer 3 "managed routers." Essentially, the cable TV company
builds a logical overlay on their TCP/IP infrastructure for each ISP
that wants access. The hitch is: the ISP (not the cable company) must
provide the IP addresses that get plugged in to the cable company's
infrastructure. Everywhere in the cable company's infrastructure where
there's an address pool to be filled, the ISP has to fill it in a
manner which makes for efficient routing and aggregation. Not gonna be
doing that /32 thing all the way across the system, even for the folks
with static IPs.

Problem! The ISP has to pre-reserve address blocks for the various
areas within the cable company's infrastructure. The ISP then grows
chaotically like all ISPs, more customers here than there. When it's
time to expand his largest area, most of his addresses are stuck
"reserved" for areas where he has few or no customers. Thus he doesn't
meet the utilization target set by ARIN for more addresses. And he
can't just withdraw and redeploy the underutilized pools because that
ain't the way CRTC's TPIA is rigged.

How close did I get?

Thanks,
Bill