[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 15 20:19:05 EDT 2012

On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:36 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> For discussion purposes it would also be helpful to have a link to
> something that explicitly describes the CRTC's action here. Did they
> wade in to regulating address management without consulting ARIN? If
> so, perhaps John could explore the matter further directly with the
> CRTC in parallel with our discussions here.

Bill -

Request by CRTC to CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee (CISC)
to "develop a solution for static IP address allocation for TPIA
services" - <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-330.htm>

CRTC approval of the recommendations made by the CISC’s Network
Working Group regarding static address allocation for third-party
Internet access services.
- <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-96.htm>

The CRTC does not appear to be making IP number resource policy
but rather determining appropriate responsibilities for address
management when a service is jointly provisioned via wholesale
infrastructure.  As it has been described to me, the typical
manner by which wholesale third-party Internet services are
deployed can result in IPv4 addresses from the ISP being fairly
sparsely allocated to the infrastructure without the ability to
readily reallocate to match the POPs of high demand. ARIN's IPv4
additional allocation policies (except for MDN) are predicated
upon the ability to reallocate deployed IP resources until an
overall utilization level of 80% is achieved.  Hence, there is
a real potential for conflict between the assumptions from the
third-party Internet access services and existing ARIN policy.

I hope this helps in your consideration of the proposed policy
change.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran