[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

Steven Ryerse SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com
Wed Aug 8 20:31:41 EDT 2012

I understand the each new route technical issue but it really is the same as the IPv4 issue vs. the IPv6 issue.  Saying we can’t allow too many IP blocks because of the increase size in the routing table is just like saying IPv4 has only so many IP addresses and if you don’t get one tough.  IPv6 is there and it is a big change but unfortunately necessary.  It will cost everyone money to fix.  Once the routing table gets bigger than the max size of the older routers then they will have to be replaced with bigger newer ones.  That costs money too.  It is inevitable to happen – just a matter of when – just like IPv6.  Everyone who is purchasing routers for this better get one with a higher capacity.  Nothing wrong with trying to manage the process of the routing table getting bigger or too many bits but we shouldn’t tell folks they can’t route the Internet – just like we shouldn't tell folks they can’t have IPv4 addresses when there are still some available.

If someone gets the smallest IP block like a /22 and sits on them so what.  Anything they get thru this minimum block policy I proposed pales in comparison to the total legacy /8 blocks out there.  Those are already starting to come on the market and will have the effect of making IPv4 last longer as they do.

It is crazy to expect someone to have to renumber in the real world.  Sounds good in a theoretical discussion on a community board but did you ever have to do one.  No fun and customers will not like it.  It is reasonable for me to get my own block so that my upstream providers don't control the numbers if that is what I want to do.  There is no real good argument that I shouldn't get a minimum block if I can prove I need it.  Larger blocks are a different story but a /22 - that shouldn't be an issue at all!  This community can decide what the minimum block size should be from time to time.

Steven L Ryerse
President
100 Ashford Center North, Suite 110, Atlanta, GA  30338
770.656.1460 - Cell
770.399.9099 - Office
770.392-0076 - Fax

℠ Eclipse Networks, Inc.