[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

Christoph Blecker cblecker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:35:01 EDT 2012

Hi Stephen,
The usual procedure most new providers go through would be to go to
one of your upstream providers (in your case AT&T or TW Telecom) and
request a "portable /24 via BGP, with an LOA". Let's say you got this
block from AT&T. You'd then take the LOA (Letter of
Approval/Authorization) to your other provider, in this case TW
Telecom, and ask them to add it to their BGP filters. Once you start
advertising this block to both upstreams, you have the same redundancy
as a PI block. The only restriction would be if you discontinued your
customer relationship with AT&T, they would likely require you to
return the block to them.

This new assignment, along with your legacy assignment, would bring
you up to /23 of non-contiguous space (enough to meet ARIN's
requirement). Once you achieve 80% utilization of this space (410 out
of 512 IPs) then you will meet ARIN's requirement for getting PI space
directly from them.

Yes, there are a number of hoops that the policy makes you jump though
to get an initial assignment, but there are very good reasons for
these (including routing table size issues, and the want to protect
from a shell company starting up, calling themselves an ISP, and
immediately eligible for a /22 from ARIN).

Cheers,
Christoph