[arin-ppml] private whois record

Patrick Klos patrick at klos.com
Wed Aug 8 18:01:23 EDT 2012

Martin Hannigan wrote:
> Doesn't hold water. You can still receive a letter via a forwarding
> service. Domain name holders pay for privacy services and they seem to
> somehow work.

No, the fact is, "Domain Privacy" DOESN'T WORK!  Maybe it works for the
owner of the domain who are worried about a little spam, but NO ONE
ELSE!  Again, why have a WHOIS record when the information contained
within them is useless?  If I run across a phishing site on
'www.yourprivatelyregistereddomain.com', and your WHOIS records contain
bogus contact information, I CAN'T TELL YOU THAT YOU'VE BEEN HACKED!
How does that help anyone?!?

> And there are ways to address "exigent" circumstances
> already baked in.

No there aren't.  Not when the WHOIS record is useless.  Maybe you mean
"someone can do a lot of extra work to TRY to find the owner of a
resource (network or domain)"???

Personally, I don't think the Domain Privacy features that are
implemented by various registrars comply with the ICANN RAA, but that's
a different mailing list.

> There is no need for the physical address to be public at all with
> respect to "contact" arguments. It's a red herring.

For the most part, physical addresses are hardly ever used or touched
(except by "Domain Registry of America"  ;^).  But I believe they should
be included for completeness (at least for businesses - no reason not to!).

Patrick