[arin-ppml] private whois record

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Aug 8 18:50:48 EDT 2012

On 8/8/12 16:48 CDT, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>>> How does "a valid working phone or email address" suddenly turn into "my
>>> home address"? You're not going to drive up here to fix the problem
>>> yourself, are you?
>>
>> Not planning on it. But I might have a cease and desist notice
>> delivered by certified mail.
>>

>>> These days, an email address should be more than sufficient.
>>
>> See above.
>>

> Doesn't hold water. You can still receive a letter via a forwarding
> service. Domain name holders pay for privacy services and they seem to
> somehow work. And there are ways to address "exigent" circumstances
> already baked in.

I'm probably OK with that, but doesn't ARIN still need to maintain the
field for the address of privacy service and client reference number to
go into?  If not, then how does the privacy service work?

> There is no need for the physical address to be public at all with
> respect to "contact" arguments. It's a red herring.

I'm OK with allowing privacy service for a business entity.  However,
using a privacy service should not be a requirement either.  So, I don't
see how ARIN can eliminate the Address field, the address for the
privacy service needs to go into it. ARIN still need to require some
kind of address in the field as well.  Unless you are suggesting that
ARIN should provide the privacy service.

Oh, and by the way, even if you allow the identity and the street
address of the actual user to be obfuscated, the legal jurisdiction
shouldn't be.  At least country of the actual user should be included in
all cases, and the State or Provence within the US and CA.  There should
also be options for multiple jurisdictions and more detailed
jurisdiction or demographic data as appropriate, like county, city,
maybe even postal code, again for the actual user.

Requiring proper jurisdiction facilitates efficient operation of the
legal system by allowing a Jane/John Doe warrant or subpena to be
requested within the proper jurisdiction.  Privacy is not an excuse to
hide illegal activity or intended as a shield from the due process
rights by others.  Privacy is only intended to shield you from
unwarranted intrusion.

I'm not saying the legal system is perfect or never abused, but the ARIN
Whois database is not the proper way to fix that problem.

Finally, in this case privacy is a right of the user not the ISP or LIR,
any change we make in this policy needs to be clear on that and the
control should be in the hands of the user in question not necessarily
the ISP or LIR.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952