[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:45:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> On 9/22/11 11:51 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> If transfers aren't allowed, then the project won't
>> get funded, and they will continue using the IPv4 space the same way
>> they have been.
>
> No, they'll probably just lease or sell the space using any of the existing
> loopholes that result in it being valuable, used by others, but NOT listed
> in the whois database.

You're correct.  For the sake of argument I was making the simplifying
(but probably incorrect) assumption that disallowing inter-RIR
transfers will prevent them from occurring.  But much more likely it
would usually just result in them occurring outside of the RIR system,
which would result in whois becoming less accurate and the RIR
registries less useful and relevant.  Which is of course another
important argument in favor of allowing inter-RIR transfers via
2011-1.

-Scott