[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Sep 22 15:38:44 EDT 2011

On 9/22/11 11:51 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> So you would prefer to eliminate 8.3 transfers entirely, both within
> region and out of region?
>
> While I accept your position would be ideal, I think the reality is we
> won't be getting much IPv4 space returned to ARIN without providing a
> significant incentive to do so.

Agreed. The only way for IPv4 space to be returned to ARIN for
redistribution at this point is if ARIN becomes not just a listing
service but actually starts acting like a used-car lot, buying and
selling the address space itself and collecting a reasonable profit as
they aggregate and dis-aggregate addresses as needed.

It'd probably be profitable for ARIN, but might not be what anyone else
wants to happen.

> If transfers aren't allowed, then the project won't
> get funded, and they will continue using the IPv4 space the same way
> they have been.

No, they'll probably just lease or sell the space using any of the
existing loopholes that result in it being valuable, used by others, but
NOT listed in the whois database.

>   If intra-regional transfers are allowed, but
> inter-RIR transfers are not, then the demand for transferred IPv4
> space will be held artificially low, and they won't be able to get
> enough money for their IPv4 space to do the project right away, but
> will instead need to wait a year or two (maybe until after IPv4
> exhaustion in the ARIN region) for the price to get high enough to go
> forward with the project and make the addresses available.

See above. You don't think there's *already* entities that are getting
space in regions outside of APNIC because they can't get APNIC space any
more?

Matthew Kaufman