[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 00:34:32 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> The ARIN region has more address space than the APNIC region, yet,
> the APNIC region includes roughly 60% of the world population.
> I find it utterly absurd to try and buy into the argument that APNIC is
> out of IPv4 addresses simply because they consumed them faster
> than other regions. APNIC is out of addresses first because they have
> vastly more internet users and significantly fewer addresses to serve
> them.

Yes.  And the APNIC region also has so vastly many users that the
entire free pools
of all the other regions combined is a drop in the bucket. There is
really nothing more
to be done with that in IPv4, as
It's clear that IPv6 is the only viable option for correcting the
issue of the lack of sufficient IPs.

Meanwhile we have a proposal that would permit inter-RIR transfers
allowing ARIN address space "from which only /22s or only /20s were
allocated" to be fragmented   across regions down to the /24 level,
which adversely impacts route filtering options.

And the inter-RIR transfer concept also introduces additional
technical issues...  for example,  making it impossible to write
simple firewall filters to block traffic originating from certain RIR
/8s,
or intelligently direct certain /8s  through a path that corresponds
to efficient routing for the destination region.

--
-JH