[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 25 05:31:19 EDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> The ARIN region has more address space than the APNIC region, yet,
>> the APNIC region includes roughly 60% of the world population.
>> I find it utterly absurd to try and buy into the argument that APNIC is
>> out of IPv4 addresses simply because they consumed them faster
>> than other regions. APNIC is out of addresses first because they have
>> vastly more internet users and significantly fewer addresses to serve
>> them.
>
> Yes.  And the APNIC region also has so vastly many users that the
> entire free pools
> of all the other regions combined is a drop in the bucket. There is
> really nothing more
> to be done with that in IPv4, as
> It's clear that IPv6 is the only viable option for correcting the
> issue of the lack of sufficient IPs.

That's very true, but, postponing runout in other regions while leaving
APNIC to suffer under this global shortage will not help the situation and
it is not good stewardship.

> Meanwhile we have a proposal that would permit inter-RIR transfers
> allowing ARIN address space "from which only /22s or only /20s were
> allocated" to be fragmented   across regions down to the /24 level,
> which adversely impacts route filtering options.

Route filtering options are going to be impacted just as adversely by
in-region transfers, so I don't see inter-regional transfers making any
difference here. This is a red herring.

> And the inter-RIR transfer concept also introduces additional
> technical issues...  for example,  making it impossible to write
> simple firewall filters to block traffic originating from certain RIR
> /8s,
> or intelligently direct certain /8s  through a path that corresponds
> to efficient routing for the destination region.

Since geography != topology, I'm having tremendous difficulty seeing
how that would actually be useful even in today's world. Further, there
are already lots of ARIN (and other RIR) recipients using addresses
in other geographies (which is perfectly legitimate use under certain
circumstances such as a US company that runs a global network and
uses ARIN addresses for all or most of their network).

So the above paragraph is also a red herring relying on assumptions
not borne out by reality.

Owen