[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 25 00:13:28 EDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 5:37 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>>  I agree that presently this new entrant "loophole" could
>>>  potentially be exacerbated by an InterRIR transfer policy;
>>>  I just wanted to  make it clear that it may also be a serious
>>>  problem as we approach in-region depletion in general.
>>
>> There is a way we could avoid InterRIR transfer policy exacerbating this...
>> ARIN could allow applicants from _any_  service region  to apply for
>> resources from the free pool,
>> via a  inter-RIR  "cross application" deal.
>
> Jimmy,
>
> That would be functional. But is it fair? We still have a free pool
> because having learned our lessons in the Internic days, we were
> restrictive with addresses when some other regions were not. We would
> be allowing other regions with much less restrictive policies to
> deplete the remaining resource we so carefully managed.

Bill, this is, frankly BS. APNIC was no less restrictive than ARIN in general,
even at the peak of their consumption rate. APNIC serves several rapidly
growing economies with relatively low internet penetration into very large
populations (India, China, et. al.),

Rapid growth in internet availability and usage in those countries is
driving address consumption in the APNIC region far more than any
differences in relative allocation policy.

The ARIN region has more address space than the APNIC region, yet,
the APNIC region includes roughly 60% of the world population.
I find it utterly absurd to try and buy into the argument that APNIC is
out of IPv4 addresses simply because they consumed them faster
than other regions. APNIC is out of addresses first because they have
vastly more internet users and significantly fewer addresses to serve
them.

(Population data: http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/world_population.htm)

Total world population: 6.9 Billion
Asia: 4.157 Billion
Oceania: 0.035 Billion (also mostly APNIC)
APNIC Total: ~4.1 Billion

Owen