[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 23:25:59 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> That would be functional. But is it fair? We still have a free pool
> because having learned our lessons in the Internic days, we were
> restrictive with addresses when some other regions were not. We would

I think the reason ARIN still has a free pool has more to do with how
ARIN managed
its final allocations.   It could have been horribly efficient if it
liked with all the prior
allocations,    it was how restrictive with the final /8s  that would
matter most.
Fairness could be argued either way,  it could be stated that ARIN has
more IP address
space,  therefore ARIN has more than its fair share of addresses.

Anyways,  I don't care about fairness per se;  ARIN shouldn't do it
because it's
not good stewardship of resources on behalf of the ARIN membership.

That is also the same reason ARIN should not implement Inter-RIR
transfer as proposed.

> be allowing other regions with much less restrictive policies to
> deplete the remaining resource we so carefully managed.

It might be "fair"  for allow other regions to do so,  but ARIN should
not allow other
regions to do so.

--
-JH