[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 24 20:37:19 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>  I agree that presently this new entrant "loophole" could
>>  potentially be exacerbated by an InterRIR transfer policy;
>>  I just wanted to  make it clear that it may also be a serious
>>  problem as we approach in-region depletion in general.
>
> There is a way we could avoid InterRIR transfer policy exacerbating this...
> ARIN could allow applicants from _any_  service region  to apply for
> resources from the free pool,
> via a  inter-RIR  "cross application" deal.

Jimmy,

That would be functional. But is it fair? We still have a free pool
because having learned our lessons in the Internic days, we were
restrictive with addresses when some other regions were not. We would
be allowing other regions with much less restrictive policies to
deplete the remaining resource we so carefully managed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004