[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:58:43 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Bill -
>  It's actually simpler than that... These "independent" entities
>  with limited history are actually valid address recipients.
>  We do our best to unveil companies which are entirely shell
>  companies (and effectively deduplicate requests) but as long as

I think the premise was the entities wouldn't be "shell companies"
strictly speaking,
even though their ultimate owners formed them  knowing the companies' business
plan would ultimately lead them to needing IP addresses,  which could
then become
so valuable due to Inter-RIR transfer and  offshore value of IP addresses,
that the companies might be scrapped for a quick profit due to the
value of their IP addresses.

>  I agree that presently this new entrant "loophole" could
>  potentially be exacerbated by an InterRIR transfer policy;
>  I just wanted to  make it clear that it may also be a serious
>  problem as we approach in-region depletion in general.

There is a way we could avoid InterRIR transfer policy exacerbating this...
ARIN could allow applicants from _any_  service region  to apply for
resources from the free pool,
via a  inter-RIR  "cross application" deal.

By that,  I mean  ARIN could adopt a policy permitting resources from
the ARIN free pool to be allocated to an applicant in any other
region,  and  after approval, the resources would automatically be
transferred to the local RIR on the applicant's behalf,   provided
that other region also adopted the same policy.

Then there would be no point of abusing the Inter-RIR transfer
process,  as the applicants in the
other  region could simply make their application with ARIN and  meet
the justified need
requirements under ARIN's criteria.

It would be more efficient for the applicant to obtain these IP
addresses from ARIN's free pool,
than to engage in some   'backdoor'  mechanism    requiring a US-based
company to apply
for IP addresses ultimately for the purpose of reselling them at high
margin  @  whatever
the market value is in other RIRs.

--
-JH