[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 24 19:05:44 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:03 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>  I agree that presently this new entrant "loophole" could
>  potentially be exacerbated by an InterRIR transfer policy;
>  I just wanted to  make it clear that it may also be a serious
>  problem as we approach in-region depletion in general.

Hi John,

IMO frivolous use stockpiling is already a problem. But frankly, that
ship has sailed. We'll not find a suitable mitigation before the free
pool is gone. Every time the subject has come up, I've seen wide
disagreement as to what use is actually frivolous.

>  Also note that having
>  policy that allows bona fide new entrants is an fundamental
>  expectation of any fair and equitable industry self-regulation.

I could not be in more complete agreement.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004