[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 24 18:03:38 EDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:42 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> Note that the board recognized the related-legal-entities issue a few
> years ago, but IIRC they abandoned their attempt to address it,
> possibly for lack of a usable legal framework. No joy to be found down
> that blind alley and I imagine the prevailing view was that with a
> strong needs justification applied independently to each legal entity
> there was relatively little damage that could be done.

Bill -

  It's actually simpler than that... These "independent" entities
  with limited history are actually valid address recipients.
  We do our best to unveil companies which are entirely shell
  companies (and effectively deduplicate requests) but as long as
  there's policy which allows new parties to obtain address space,
  these sorts of requests will occur.  Also note that having
  policy that allows bona fide new entrants is an fundamental
  expectation of any fair and equitable industry self-regulation.

  I agree that presently this new entrant "loophole" could
  potentially be exacerbated by an InterRIR transfer policy;
  I just wanted to  make it clear that it may also be a serious
  problem as we approach in-region depletion in general.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO