[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 21 16:04:58 EDT 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 3:04 PM, John Santos wrote:

> I think the essential difference is that the market defines "need" as

> "something someone is willing to spend money on", while ARIN defines "need"
> in terms of technical requirements.  Conflating the two definitions of
> need and treating them as equivalent doesn't help matters at all.
>
> In market terms, "need" includes "I need to buy a yacht, and successfully
> speculating in IPv4 addresses will allow me to do that."
>
> This is definitely not a justification that would work to prove "need"
> to ARIN for a free pool allocation.

Correct. ARIN's use of the term "need" is actually a reference
to "operational needs" as expressed in RFC 2050:

1) Conservation: Fair distribution of globally unique Internet address
   space according to the operational needs of the end-users and Internet
   Service Providers operating networks using this address space.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO