[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Fri Oct 21 15:31:11 EDT 2011

Hi John,

Once the free pool depletes, the only available addresses will be in the
transfer market.
At that point the poor organizations will be shut out, regardless of their
need.
Speculators could be limited by the /12 maximum I mentioned, and more
importantly by the uncertain IPv6 transition timeframe.

The market definition of need that you assert ("something someone is willing
to spend money on") will serve the same stewardship requirements as does a
needs justification for free pool allocations, to wit efficient usage.

I will say no more about the issue in this thread, I think it too
diversionary and the passage of this policy too important to be sidetracked.

I understand ARIN will maintain a list of RIRs with "compatible" policies.
It will be a short list, and if policy changes substantially at another RIR
which puts ARIN  members at a relative disadvantage, we can discuss the
issue further and tweak policy then if necessary.

I support passage of 2011-1.

Regards,

MIke