[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 20 15:58:23 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I was hoping you (and anyone else with ideas) could provide actual
> constructive feedback on how the text could be improved.  If such
> suggestions are being provided here on list, we can discuss whether they are
> potential improvements we should incorporate.

Hi Scott,

1. Pull it out of section 8.3 and put it in its own section 8.4. At no
time in the process do I recall the community express a desire to
tamper with section 8.3 as part of the inter-region transfer process.
While such integration may become desirable in the future it is, IMHO,
not desirable now. We should implement, learn from and tune the
inter-region policy long before considering whether or how to
integrate it with the in-region transfer policy.

2. Earlier drafts required potential recipients to meet the
eligibility criteria set by BOTH regions. While this increases the
hassle factor associated with transferring addresses in or out of the
region, I believe it provides a valuable safeguard for this, our first
attempt at inter-region transfers. If, over time, we find that it's
all hassle for no benefit, we can remove it.

3. Who determines that ARIN and another RIR "share compatible,
needs-based policies?" Unless we set out explicit criteria, this is an
open-ended policy-level question which should be decided by
policy-level people, i.e. the Board. NOT by staff. I offered this
criticism on the earlier drafts as well and I'm disappointed to see it
hasn't been addressed.

>  If not, the choice is between
> moving forward or delaying.  I'm not sure how delaying another 6 months
> helps.

I have some other nitpicks, but without first correcting these large
issues, I'm with Marty: good try but you failed to capture the
community's intent. The newly written draft would benefit from another
cycle of discussion, modification and presentation so that it can move
forward with consensus on the actual policy language.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004